Saturday, December 27, 2008

Saturday Blues

Most people love Saturdays. For some reason I find them a pain in the butt. The roads are too packed. The grocery is the same. Going out for lunch is like trying to find space in a sardine can. So today I let the hubby go off by himself. He had to go qualify for his gun permit, and I figure that would be a bore, sitting around waiting for him to shoot up a box of ammo at paper targets.

So what do I do with a Saturday to myself? Well, besides sitting here talking to a computer screen, I mean. I could use the time to do some straightening I've been putting off. I need to straighten the guest bedroom. I'm not sure why but that room seems to be a dumping point. There are stacks of magazines I just couldn't bring myself to toss out, but now I'm going to. I mean, why do I need copies of year-old Romantic Times? For seven year-old copies of Writer's Digest? I guess I thought I'd forget what I learned from them one day. But I've readied myself for putting them out with the trash a little at a time. If I put them all out at once the poor trash man would have a stroke.

Next? Old paperbacks. Okay, some of them I will keep until the day I die and then Hubby can get rid of them. But some I'll never read again. Some I have no idea why I hung onto them for so long. Some are marked up beyond reading. Why? I was trying to learn from others. How they handled emotions, conflict, perfect endings, perfect beginnings. And besides, if I get rid of the paperbacks, I'll have room for more!! OMG! I have this rack of old 8-track tapes. I so wish I knew how I could copy them to CDs. But it's time to get rid of them too, though I still have a 8-track player. Would you believe some of them are still wrapped? Not opened, never played.

Okay, the mess isn't going to straighten itself, so I'll go now. Pray for me.

No comments: