Friday, August 29, 2008

Here We Go Again

Gustav isn't even in the Gulf of Mexico yet and our governor is planning to evacuate the city of New Orleans. If and that is a big IF Gustav comes here it will be late Monday night or Tuesday morning. Why do they feel they have to start evacuating Saturday? It probably won't even be in the Gulf by Saturday. It probably won't hit New Orleans. Why?!!
Yes, the very Saturday that Heather Graham's Writers for New Orleans Workshop will be in full swing. I look forward to this all year. I don't wish this on anyone else, I just wish it would die a peaceful death. But that's not going to happen because the Gulf waters are too warm to let that happen. It will grow just as Katrina did. Hopefully not as large and strong as Katrina, but it will grow.
You ask why this could cause problems with the workshop? Well, let me give you an example. For Katrina they started the evacuation on a work day. People left work, left home to pick up kids at school, left for wherever. What took my hubby on a normal day 45 mintues to drive ended up taking 6 hours. And that was just to get home. And they are talking about starting the contra flow on the highways. For those of you who don't know what that is, contra flow is where they stop all traffic coming into the city and all lanes are open for outgoing traffic. Why is that a problem for me? Well I don't live right in New Orleans, but in a subburb. And parking cost a fortune in the city, so hubby is/was going to take me into the city and drop me off then pick me up when the fun was over. Ooops. Can't get into the city!
I will lose my money, but I don't even care about that. I wanted a weekend with other writers. I wanted to learn from those who know much more than I. I wanted to mingle and play.
I'll wait until tonight to make a decision. I'll listen to the news and see what the Governor plans to do and when. Until then I'll just feel sorry for myself.

No comments: